permaculture - Re: permaculture trademark alert

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: permaculture trademark alert
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:31:06 -0700

At 01:03 PM 7/11/01 -0600, Scott Pittman wrote:

It would be wise for our friends in Oz (and I assume Bill and Lisa will
follow suit in the US and UK) to gather any evidence of these precedents,
submit it to a lawyer, and lodge an objection. Maybe each country's Pc
people can take up a collection to pay the legal expenses.

I think it may take a building full of lawyers to wrestle with this one.

Unfortunately, it sounds to me like they are the only ones who can "win" an argument of this type...and I have no idea how such a "victory", or any of this, follows the Pc principle of "care of the Earth".

At least, from the sound of it, a relatively cost-free "defense" may be that the word "permaculture" appears to have become public domain in the US (according to what Scott wrote), and therefore can't be trademarked by Bill or anyone else. It's the "Kleenex" defense. Hopefully it is stronger than its namesake. :)

It saddens me that energy that could be used to build something or heal something is now likely to be wasted in this ill-advised legal squabble.

Sigh,

Loren

Loren Davidson Permaculturist, philosopher, writer
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." - A. Einstein