permaculture - Re: permaculture trademark alert

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Martin Grosskopf <martin-g@iafrica.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: permaculture trademark alert
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:45:45 +0200

The term "permaculture" was coined by Bill Mollison, which has a far wider significance as a word in our common language than it has as a proprietary trade name.  Toby wrote:

>But what disturbs me, as it does Robyn, is that this goes counter to the
>many recorded statements Bill has made to "give permaculture away" (friends
>have a tape of him saying this at the Bioneers conference),

As far as I know the term itself has never been registered as a trade mark, and the Mollisons can argue that they have indeed given permaculture away.  They are just not giving away "Permaculture Design" and "Permaculture Design Course". Be that as it may, the Mollisons are reducing the significance of their great contribution to the world from a widely accepted practice to merely a limited branded product.  It's like the difference between the terms "architectural design" and "architectural design course" and the name of some lesser known architectural practice or school which will fade into insignificance when the owners die or the company goes out of business.  Why would the Mollisons do that?  It cannot be for recognition, as I have just argued.  As I see it, it can either be to ensure a stream of revenue or to ensure that there are no wayward teachers and practicioners.  I would hope that it is the latter.  But if it is the latter, then I would think that a fixed set of permaculture design principles would suffice.  Obviously some of the principles would be misinterpreted by some and corrupted by others, but as in any practice, there will be debate about when this occurs and when it doesn't, to the benefit of growth in the understanding of the practice.

What would happen if one called one's course "Permaculture Course"?  That won't be registered as a trade mark.

Martin