permaculture - Re: Chemical Residuals

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Chemical Residuals
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:09:26 -0500

Just a note regarding species of amaranth. Redroot pigweed (A. caudatus?
Sorry my
best weed ID books are still in storage) is a common weed across the United
States
that I have eaten as a potherb quite often. It does not have spines. Since my
move to
the Southeast I have for the first time encountered the spiny variety. Now
the locals
MAY call it pigweed, too, but the common lambsquarters (chenopodium album et
al) is
also referred to in some parts as pigweed, though it is more distantly
related. Even
the spiny amaranth probably has edible leaves and seeds but getting them
would be
painful. An additional caution. Both species are very good at taking up excess
nitrogen, to the point where they become hazardous to eat (the nitrates become
carcinogenic nitrites in the digestive tract) so be careful where you pick
them.
Keith.