permaculture - RE: permaculture digest: November 17, 2000

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "MARSHALL CHROSTOWSKI" <mcfarm@silcom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: permaculture digest: November 17, 2000
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:08:38 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Walter Epp" <for7gen@IDIOM.COM>
To: <SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 2:26 PM
Subject: EPA Starlink public comment points to make

The EPA needs to hear from us if it is to be prevented from letting
Aventis off the hook for as much as $1 billion in damages its
genetically engineered Starlink corn has caused.

Greenpeace info & online comment submission:
www.truefoodnow.org
or
www.greenpeaceusa.org/save/alerts/ge-epatext.htm
www.greenpeaceusa.org/save/alerts/ge-epa.htm

official EPA notice:
www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-PEST/2000/October/Day-31/p28076.htm

email comments to opp-docket@epa.gov
be sure to identify docket control number PF-867B

You can also tell these officials what you think:
Administrator Carol Browner, EPA, 1200 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington DC
20460
Commissioner Jane Henney, FDA, 5600 Fishers Ln, Rockville MD 20857
Secretary of Agriculture Dan Glickman, USDA, 1400 Independence Ave,
Washington DC 20250

Some points to make:

Don't allow them to narrowly focus on human health damage. That is a set-up
for letting Aventis off the hook, since it is too early to have significant
conclusive evidence.

Don't allow them to narrowly focus on allergenicity. Other forms of health
damage, ecological risks, and effects of consumption on animals also need
to be researched before any approval can be considered.

There must be strict labelling and segregation of all GE products
so future problems can be identified and sources traced.
Regular testing to verify compliance must be paid for by the biotech
industry but conducted by people who are independent of industry influence.

The current policy of laissez-faire abdication of serious regulatory
control over GE and trusting the industry has failed and must be
replaced by stringent requirements for comprehensive data on long-term
health and ecological consequences before any product is allowed on the
market.

Require Aventis to post a bond to cover damage not found until later.

Epidemiological studies to determine the extent of the damage should be
conducted by completely independent researchers and Aventis should be
required to pay all the costs.

There must be no escape or limitation from full liability.
Aventis must be required to compensate all consumers, farmers, and
businesses that suffered damages, and must pay all costs of identifying
and quantifying what the damages were.

Spread the word.

---
Walter Epp for7gen@idiom.com