permaculture - Quinoa - was : The Lost Crops of the Incas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Eugene F. Monaco" <EFMonaco@compuserve.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Quinoa - was : The Lost Crops of the Incas
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 18:44:41 -0500

I've been eating quinoa unwashed for years in a breakfast cereal mix with
amaranth, teff and Arrowhead Mills 4-grain plus flax. A traditional
medicine man told me that the saponins in the quinoa are good for cleaning
the colon. I wouldn't worry about washing it. On the other hand I don't
eats mounds of at a sitting. Perhaps moderation and quantity are a factor.
Gene Monaco
Knoxville, TN

Message text written by "permaculture"

I am interested in these crops, and I will check out the web
site. I am particularly interested in Quinoa due to its high protein
content. Do you have to rinse the seed before feeding it to livestock? Will
the bitter compound cause eggs or milk to taste off? I have heard there are
some varieties that have less of this compound. The idea of rinsing off so
many pounds of seed every day seems daunting. This plant, as well as
Amaranth, both seem like good canidates for the warm days and cool nights
of
the Appalachians.

--Donahuer
<