permaculture - Re: We are one-fish'n cat tails

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Skye <skye@tortuga.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: We are one-fish'n cat tails
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 14:25:26 -0400

Hi All

My cents worth of experiece on the cattail story -

in spring young rhizome shoots are quite eidble - tastes like fresh celery -
but I'd
check that the water and soil were not contaminated first!!!

in Japan the stems of the flower spikes are traditinally used to make the
roll-up
blinds common to japan - the spikes are reasonably hard but light and durable

the original people of Australia made some amazingly beautiful baskets from
the leaves
- but I have never been able to find out how - if they wove the leaves green,
dried
them first...????

and as mentioned it produces a great deal of mulch - although wading into 2m
of water
may not be much fun (I have seen it growing in water 2m deep).

Skye
--
Skye -
Rua Horto das Oliveiras,738 Granja Sao Luiz, Campo Grande, Mato Grosso do Sul