permaculture - Re: Ecovillage stuff

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ecovillage stuff
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 00 10:45:09 +1100

John wrote
>There's no "escape" from fundamental human relatings; not in "consensus,"
>"democracy," "dictatorship," or anything else. Not much in formal PC
>curriculum/practice invites to this either...a missing piece, work to be
>done...

I've been working with intentional communities since the late '70's, have
conducted workshops and worked with many in sorting out their management
systems, designed some from scratch including Jarlanbah Pc hamlet and am
in early stages of planning for a 75 acre eco-village here in Nimbin
which will double the existing village.

I agree with John that the area of community relations and management is
a big gap in Pc which I address to a degree in the PDC and in-depth in my
annual Ecovillage & sustainable community design course.

As an area in which I have a specific passion and fair bit of experience
I have taken the application of Pc principles much further than the
Designers manual into developing strategic design methodologies and
parameters for social planning in design - some of this work is now
enshrined in NSW state planning policies for rural settlement.

Recommend reading the book COHOUSING by Kathryn McCamant and Charlse
Durrett, it has some interesting case studies including decision-making
processes some of which I've adapted and introduced successfully to
other communities.

Robyn Francis

Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education Centre
home to:
Permaculture Education
ERDA Institute Trust
Nimbin Eco-Village Project Office
Robyn Francis - permaculture designer & educator
PO Box 379, Nimbin NSW 2480 Australia
permed@nor.com.au www.earthwise.org.au