permaculture - Re: self-fertile kiwi?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jko@xprt.net (Jeff Owens)
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: self-fertile kiwi?
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 10:40:58 -0700

>I can't say much about it, but the self fertile "Issai" kiwi (Actinidia
>arguta) which I planted this spring did not like the full sun I planted it
>in - here in the Sierra Nevada foothills in Toulumne county. I had read
>that they like full sun but it got scorched; so I'm now trying to nurse it
>back to health.

I've tried several "self-fertile" kiwi's and only the Issai
has managed to produce fruit. The reports about Issai have
been somewhat confusing. A few people have had stunning
success and other's have had problems. In this area (USDA
zone 7 and wet) we find it reliable on the west side of our
house produces fruit every years but not in great quantity.
One in full sun grows well but doesn't produce as much fruit.
Some people claim it is best to contain the roots and give
them a lot of water. Others claim they do best on the north
side of a house or in partial shade.

One thing we can do is to share data and join organizations
of fruit explorers (plug for NAFIX <grin>)

----
jeff owens, jko@xprt.net, http://www.xprt.net/~jko
underground house, solar power, self-reliance, edible landscape