permaculture - Re: keyhole beds?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: keyhole beds?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 06:06:16 -0300

I have had the same experience as Toby: I have also found the keyhole beds
good for urban backyard situations where space is at a minimum but not that
functional on a larger scale.

At the same time, once you get used to complex garden forms, rectangles seem
somehow "wrong" or "unnatural" to the eye...

We have had fun, in courses, in making complex mandala gardens with other
forms, which sometimes fit into the space available better than the
conventional keyhole garden (oval, tear-drop shaped, even a leaf-shaped
garden in a long narrow spot). The group concentrates on the spot, and each
says what (s) he feels should be there,in terms of forms, beds, paths, and
then we make a synthesis. The results are always beautiful , functional,
and different, one from the other...

As to the projects where serious vegetable growing takes place ( I mean in
scale...), the people have gone back to making larger( two arm's length
wide), longer beds, but curving them-- has been a practical solution without
offending the eye with straight lines. Becomes quite pretty, interspersed
with legume and papaya trees, large bushy herbs, and perennial grasses which
we use as on-site mulch. Also lots of flowers and pretty curvy paths, which
are pleasing to wander around.. The beds are still straight enough to use
perforated irrigation hoses . The guardians ( don't like to call them
"owners") of these gardens are really pleased with them, not only because of
production, but also because they are nice places to be in...

As to keyhole irrigation, I have used perforated clay pots in the centers,
planting water-demanding crops nearer, and drought-resistant crops further
away...These I fill up with a garden hose once or twice a week... Works well
enough, but these days I tend more to abandon the European vegetables in
the hot dry season, calling on the tropical semi-wild ones to fill the gap.
Much less time, work, and, especially, water...

Marsha