permaculture - Re: permaculture digest: June 17, 2000

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: permaculture digest: June 17, 2000
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 17:27:10

On 06/18/00, "rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>" wrote:

> Herb Spirals: I agree with Toby- a usually very poorly executed idea!
> Nasty= ,
> weedy heaps studded with obstacles....
> -Rick

Rick:

I don't want to seem totally naive, but exactly what is an herb spiral?

I cultivate my herbs in what I call a back-door garden which consists of a
mound. The tallest plants on top (fennel) and then I progress downward and
around dependant upon the height and the sun/shade requirements of each
plant. I also disperse some breakfast radish, heirloom butter lettuce,
mesclun, swedish kale and corn salad within my bed. The radish is ready in
25 days and I replant those beds (2) with another crop of kale and lettuce,
which are harvestable in 65 days. I love working in the mound, everything
is easily accessible and I never have to bend over, except to plant. All
the soil from my sunken beds make up the mound. I use sunken beds for a
variety of reasons, the 2 main ones being wind and water. Some of the soil
I dig out goes around the exterior to protect the plants, whatever is
leftover goes to the mound. It all works very well for me.

Blessings,
Ava