permaculture - Re: keyhole beds?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@email-me.at>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: keyhole beds?
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 18:06:50 +0200

i had used keyholebed with good results. (right now i have only a small 10'
by 20' patch that has only one path (no, not in the middle but just
somwhere) and a few favorite steeping spots. however, this is propably not
feasible with a bigger garden.

i would used keyholes again, i dont like the idea of growing things in
striaght and rectangualr shapes - but for a big market garden paths need at
least to be traversable with a wheelbarrow. i Certainly would use them again
in dry areas - my first experiences where in australia with loooong dry
summers, ansd it worked fine to just have one drip in the middle or (for the
ones fnot on the line) it is easy to just pour a bucket of water into the
center.

i had my keyholes a bit too big the last time (in austria), and for all the
mentioned maintenance work i had a few old boards on top of the mulch - if i
step on this with only one leg and have the other on solid ground i think
there isnt any mentionable pressure and compaction.

kind regards
georg