permaculture - sheet mulch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paulb <paulb@lineone.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: sheet mulch
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 00:27:48 +0100

several weeks back i put a sheet mulch down, planted potatoes in it &
covered with
straw. seeming perplexed my neighbour informed me i was doing it wrong.
apparently the
correct method is to burn & dig! so he can't help much with the present query
viz. -
heavy rains have flattened the mulch whilst the potatoes are now 12 inch
above the
mulch. should i add more mulch? it looks about necessary. but then what, more
straw? or
maybe half rotted leaves? or fresh grass cuttings? anyone got any
suggestions? yes,
beginning to wonder if i haven't merely made a wonderful slug habitat!