permaculture - Re: sheet mulch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@email-me.at>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: sheet mulch
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:31:30 +0200

hi paul:

> several weeks back i put a sheet mulch down, planted potatoes in it &
covered with
> straw.

this has worked fine for me a few time.

> heavy rains have flattened the mulch whilst the potatoes are now 12 inch
above the
> mulch. should i add more mulch? it looks about necessary. but then what,
more straw? or
> maybe half rotted leaves? or fresh grass cuttings? anyone got any
suggestions? yes,

sure add more if you have some available, but also will work as is, provided
the soil underneath is loose. you can add everything except fresh lawn
clippings, these you better pre-wither for a few days and then out on

> beginning to wonder if i haven't merely made a wonderful slug habitat!

need a good recipe for slugs? here we go: fence and put runner ducks on it,
but be sure to also provide them with ample of water, or else they might
suffocate from all the mucus in their throat. they also love to swim, but
will do without, as long as they have Always plenty of drinking water
available. however, they might try to swim in the drinking bowl... then you
slaughter and prepeare as for chicken (goes well with potatoes too...), same
with the (plentyful) eggs. i have tried it and at least mine did fine on
slugs, wild greens (on one point they stripped my runner beans of leaves as
high up as they could reach, but i am not sure if this wasnt an act of
revenge, since i have been away for a few days without telling them), and
half a handful of waste-grain presaked per day (well, most days at least)

have fun
georg