permaculture - Re: Sustainability?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dawn Shepard <dawnjs@mail.wsu.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sustainability?
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 20:25:41 -0700 (PDT)

If you look at this policy in terms of mass, it would actually cause your
system to grow. I think sustainability means perfect maintainance instead of
growth. If we continuously add more than we take out, to what ever
we define as our system, then the system would eventually include the
whole earth's mass. Then you'd have to start pulling mattter from
space to keep adding more than you take out.

That could get expensive. ;)

Which brings up an interesting question. I'd like the definition of
sustainability to mean maintainable into the indefinite future. It seems
like a lot of texts want to make sustainability defined only over a
given (rather short) time period.

Anyone know why?