permaculture - Re: Sustainability?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Myk Rushton" <permaculture@wave.co.nz>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sustainability?
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 11:10:41 +1200

----- Original Message -----
From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Friday, 26 May 2000 06:27

> one of those rare
> birds with both a high IQ and a strong back.

'am not a bird, ama geezer :-)

> telling people where they are going with Pc turns out to give them a much
better picture of it than > just describing the vehicles they'll use to get
there.

That's what I find to. Characterising Pc as opposed to describing it seems
to give people a better understanding of the
ethics/principles/techniques/procedures ...etc. when they are
applied/implemented.

For instance, today I have had a call from a free lance journalist who wants
to do an article on permaculture for a national magazine - should an attempt
be made to describe permaculture in a condensed introductory format i.e.
definition of principles, ...etc? Or to demonstrate the application of
permaculture design to stimulate interest and then recommend relevant books
and suppliers from where more information and contacts can be found? I am
considering the latter in that I feel stimulation of interest is more
important than statement of facts. But I'm open to other opinions.

> ... his description has helped me understand why what he calls an
"output-oriented"
> method is effective.

I'd like to take credit but "output oriented" is not a term I've used. :-(

Myk