permaculture - Sustainability?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Myk Rushton" <permaculture@wave.co.nz>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Sustainability?
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:07:21 +1200

Greetings

----- Original Message -----
From: Lawrence F. London, Jr. <lflondon@mindspring.com>
Newsgroups: permaculture
To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, 25 May 2000 04:23
Subject: Re: granite fertilizer? (fwd)

> Each morning upon arising I offer humble supplication to the gods of
> the universe that they may strike the word "sustainable" from the
> permaculture vocabulary

Lawrence, I hope you don't mind me using your words out of context.

I think that sustainable and sustainability are two very important words in
my Pc vocabulary which I've been thinking about a lot lately.

I've been moving away from explaining permaculture by breaking it down into
a description of the principles/tools/techniques/ecological basis etc, to an
explaination/discription of what the final output will be when designed
using permaculture principles i.e. an ecologically sustainable productive
ecosystem. Ecological because consideration has been given to both the
biotic and abiotic components and their interelationship, sustainable
because of a reduction of external inputs and energy required to maintain
them and productive in that they provide for the needs of the inhabitants.

I'd be interested in hearing other peoples views on sustainability with
regards to permaculture.

Myk