permaculture - Re: What a rip off don't let this happen

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: What a rip off don't let this happen
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:34:17

Sal:

I have to state that I honestly believe we have gotten what we asked for.
But there is an Action Alert as the new proposed organic standards will not
be final until after June 12. Everyone has been urged to state their
support of the revised standards to the USDA to counteract any efforts that
may be made to undermine the standards we have so valiantly fought for.

The new organic standards guarantee: 1. no genetically engineered
organisms 2. no use of toxic synthetic pesticides and fertilizers 3. no
food irradiation 4. no sewage sludge 5. no growth hormones or overuse of
antibiotics in animal production 6. strict requirements for safe use of
manure 7. more humane animal-confinement provisions 8. an exemption to
allow small-scale growers to sell up to $5,000.00 of organic produce per
year without completeing the certification process.

This is the first time USDA has responded to the wishes of consumers and
supported an alternative that was opposed by USDA's "traditional"
constituency which was the large food producers and agribusiness.
Additional steps are being taken to promote organic agriculture, 5 million
dollars will be added for research and development of new markets and
improved production, and federal crop-insurance rules will change so that
organic farmers can qualify now for the crop-insurance just as the chemical
growers do now.

In 1997 the USDA proposed national organic standards that could have
allowed food to be labelled 'Organic' even if they had been grown using
genetically modified organisms, sewage sludge, chemical pesticides and
fertilizers, etc. etc. Those standards are much more objectionable the the
standards we fought for and now, have, as long as we stay on top of it, so
that the chemical-agriculture industry does not change the influence before
June 12.

Yes, if you want the standards of organic farming to stay pure, you must
get certified, you must be tested, if the stamp isn't there, you could be
purchasing genetically modified product. Unfortunately, there are many out
there who would do exactly that and try to pass it off, succeed at it,
which in turn would only hurt the true organic farmer, again!

But, if we ask for our standards to be kept pure, and we fight to get it,
do you really believe it wouldn't come with a price? They're not going to
do all the testing, certification, etc. without someone paying for it.
That would just be a pipe dream. What we need to do now is work together,
become a unit so that no one adulterates what we've gained. Stay on top of
the issue and IMPROVE upon it. The only way I've ever seen anything truly
work, is to work WITHIN the system, not from the outside. Within is where
we can make the difference, the only way we'll be able to monitor and
improve. But if you get labelled a 'radical outsider' rather than someone
with a 'conviction', you won't be heard, as the majority will turn a deaf
ear toward you. We just have to keep working and make our intentions and
our commitments pure and concise.

Blessings,
Ava