permaculture - Re: Prickly Pear Question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Prickly Pear Question
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:59:25

Dear Lamb-Vines:

I'm sorry, I did not mean to make light of the wonderful diversity of
prickly pear cactus, I actually love the plant and all of it's many
wonderful virtues. We had just been discussing previously uses,
cultivation and 'safe handling', which can be quite tricky and very
painful.

The observation of scorching them to create a safety net between the human
body and the small red spines, just hadn't been discussed. You'd have to
time we finally got all the little spines out of her (months), I think she
may have wanted to scorch ME and my car.

As I can be quite visual sometimes, the whole scenario flashed through my
minds eye and believe me, it was humerous at this end. And finally, 15
years later, Mom can laugh about it too, as long as we don't get into too
much detail regarding some of the embarrassing situations the little devils
created for her. Our family physician had to bite his tongue so many times
to keep the laughter from rolling out. You just would've had to been
there!

Blessings,
Ava