permaculture - Re: relevance

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lee Flier" <lflier@mindspring.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: relevance
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:42:43 -0400

Judith wrote:

>Being nice
>is, I agree, important -- but not the whole story. Being assertive about
>what is creating annoyance is also important -- conflicts need to be
>brought into the open to be resolved.
>
>Sure, I can simply drop out of this list if I don't agree with other
>participants about what it is for. I'd like some discussion so I can see if
>I'm in a minority -- or whether others would also like more focused
>international information and less chatter.

Well Judith, in your original posting, you did not even specify exactly what
it was that you considered to be "irrelevant chit-chat", nor have you said
exactly what you do and what you're looking for on this list. That would
have at least been helpful and possibly constructive. Not everyone has the
same ideas as you do about what's relevant and what isn't. If you don't
like what is being discussed, why not start a thread yourself? Ask a
question that's relevant to your specific work, for example. Tell us what
you're doing and why you're here.

Permaculture is a very broad subject and it's a given there is going to be a
lot of content that not everyone considers relevant. If a message doesn't
interest me, I delete it. That doesn't waste much time. I am aware that
the list isn't here to serve my personal agenda, but the differing agendas
of many different people. A permaculture system has to do the same, so
there is a lot to be gained from listening to and learning to work with
different people's agendas. If you don't cling too tightly to your own
goals, you might gain a lot that you didn't "intend" to at the start.

--Lee

Lee A. Flier
lflier@mindspring.com
Atlanta, Georgia, USA