permaculture - Re: relevance

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Judith Hanna <jehanna@gn.apc.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: relevance
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 15:06:42 +0100

Dear Akiva

If you are one of the 'keepers' of the list, perhaps it would be useful to
send out a reminder/clarifyer of the purpose of the list, and to ask people
to generally respond to sender, not the list. Otherwise, it does not seem
to me a useful international link -- but simply clogs up my in-try with a
mass of irrelevancies. Perhaps tolerable to those with hours to spend
playing with hi-tech -- but not if e-mail is to be a useful quick
communication tool competing for scarce time.

Not wasting others' time is, to my mind, a fundamental of 'peoplecare'
resource management. There are a lot of hard issues to proper peoplecare --
particularly when poverty and urban pressures are in the frame. Being nice
is, I agree, important -- but not the whole story. Being assertive about
what is creating annoyance is also important -- conflicts need to be
brought into the open to be resolved.

Sure, I can simply drop out of this list if I don't agree with other
participants about what it is for. I'd like some discussion so I can see if
I'm in a minority -- or whether others would also like more focused
international information and less chatter.

Judith