permaculture - Re: Zone 6

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <gburnett@unisonfree.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Zone 6
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:31:36 -0000

>Permaculture, for me, is clearly laid out and defined in Permaculture A
>Designer's Manual anything
outside of the general themes described in Bill's book needs to be carefully
looked out before
being added to the Permaculture Curriculum. I know for a fact that Bill
never intended to
incorporate psychology, politics, or metaphysics into permaculture.

But then is it right that Permaculture begins and ends with the Designers
Manual? Surely
Permaculture is an evolving, ever developing and changing system, just like a
woodland, a garden or
community development project... If we reject anything that isn't in 'The
Sacred Text' (ho ho),
then permaculture is nothing more than a dead, ossified system, and I'm sure
that isn't what
Mollison & holmgren intended... At least i hope not, they might have
developed the initial concept,
but there will always be space for 'pioneer species' or cutting edge thinkers
like Carl Smith who
are developing the concepts onwards and outwards....

It's interesting that there seems to be a bit of a dichotomy between those
who still see
permaculture primarily in terms of 'PERMAnent AgriCULTURE' (ie, primarily
about land development
systems) and those who see it as being about wider 'PERMAnent CULTURE'
issues, ie, how we develop
ourselves and our cultures & communities to be truly sustainable and to work
in harmony with with
planet wide systems to meet our needs, not just in a physical but in a
'spiritual' sense...

I also sense there is a lot of suspision around the concept of
'spirituality', which I totally
share, I'm as sceptical and distrustful of the whole 'New Age', crystal
healing, rent-a-guru
bullshit as the next person, in fact probably more so if you actually met me
(Myk will I hope vouch
for this!!!), because I've seen too many damaged, desperate people who've
allowed themselves to be
conned in the search to make sense of the craziness we live in at present,
and seen too many sharks
happy to take their last pound note or leech off their desperation and
confusion. When I've used
the term 'Spirituality' I just mean maybe acknowledging that there might be
higher forces at work
than we can understand or comprehend, I like Julia Cameron's defintion of GOD
as standing for Good,
Orderly Direction- who can argue with that as a central permaculture tennet-
it's just the same as
'Work With Natutre, Not Against'- though until recently I've always
considered myself totally an
atheist....

Sooo, when teaching (though I prefer the word 'facilitating') a permaculture
session, I would (do)
introduce the concept of 'Zone 00', ie, we need to pay some attention to
ourselves, as we are
actually at the centre of any system, ie, we need to look after ourselves
mentally & physically,
make sure we have support, give support to those around us, etc, etc, but
would leave 'Zone 6' as
an 'optional extra', ie, maybe acknowledge there might be other realms out
there- I think this
Smith really meant,
and of course he is no longer on this plane to tell us, though he certainly
seems to have laid a
fertile seed bed for debate.....

What I certainly WOULDN'T do is start spouting a load of New Age mumbo jumbo
about crystals and
angels and other such metaphysical gobbledegook and I'm the first to
emphasise that permaculture is
about common sense and good, solid, tried & tested practice.. but can you
walk in a well designed
(by peoplekind or by nature) and abundant garden or wood and NOT feel that
there are perhaps other
forces at work? We don't have to name and define them and bring them into the
service of any
particular dogma, just acknowledge the wonder of natural forces (patterns?)
and be a bit humble and
reverent...

>What is the problem with dealing with those items separate from
>permaculture? If people who
attend my classes want to talk about Feng Shui, or Geomancy I tell them I
will meet them after
class and we can talk about it then but that neither of the topics is part of
the Permaculture
Design Process. This approach has never seemed to cause any problems with my
students.

Hmmm, I've always seen the PC design course as more participatory, and where
people are free
(within reason) to share their stuff.. eg, a course I recently helped with in
South London with
Green Adventure, I led a session on 'water'- a participant on the course with
particular knowledge
and interest in Fung Shui wanted to contribute, so did a 20 minute slot
outlining this area-
personally I was sceptical, and remain so, but I think he gave a good
overview which maybe opens up
another direction which who am I to say isn't valid...

>It seems that many who would like to expand permaculture to include the
>belief systems of the
world take it very personally when they are met with resistance from more
conservative and
traditional permaculture teachers like me. It is never a personal matter
with me but a matter of
keeping clear boundaries between what can be clearly demonstrated and
replicated and those things
that are a matter of faith or belief.

No it's nothing personal at all, and I know what you mean about what can be
demonstrated &
replicated, but lets not throw our babies with bathwater... Of course the
'other' stuff shouldn't
be allowed to dominate, but we can still make space for it, particularly Post
72 hour design
course, when maybe we can start to expand and explore.... It would be good to
chat face to face,
but I guess that ain't too lightly what with distances (physical) between
us...

Cheers matey,

Graham Burnett
35 Rayleigh Avenue