permaculture - Re: Embankment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Embankment
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:26:13 -0700

Jeffrey,
I'm an editor at the Pc Activist and Pc teacher and previously a landscape
contractor who
built a LOT of retaining walls. The best guide I can offer (aside from a
lengthy email or
phone consultation) would be to recommend a visit to your nearest
mega-hardware store and
look amongst the manuals on various building projects and you will most
likely find the
book on retaining walls. I'm sure that Sunset has one among their many
manuals. Depending
upon the variety of logs you're dealing with, you will find varying rot
rates, some which
are very fast (3-6 yrs) others, like redwood or locust, very slow (15-30
yrs). Good luck
with your project.