percy-l - Re: [percy-l] The West Wing's comment on Biblical contradictions

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion of Walker Percy

  • From: marcus AT loyno.edu
  • To: LTberrywtr AT aol.com, percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] The West Wing's comment on Biblical contradictions
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:04:15 -0500

The show I'd like to see would be "West Wing" blended with "The Sopranos."
Do the characters on WW ever try to destroy each other? Real players in
real political worlds (and law firms, even university departments) do,
incessantly.

Finally, I knew WP for nearly 20 years and he always had opinions and
reactions that veered from what I was sure he'd say about some issue of the
day, TV program, etc. His perceptions were very distinctive. That's why
he was such an interesting person. I try not to say what WP would say
about this or that, because I remember too many instances when I was sure
he'd weigh in with a particular POV or position, only to discover that he
didn't see something like I thought he would.

Marcus Smith

>Jim, et al -
> Might be fun to kick around the question: What would WP think about
West
>Wing? I'll volunteer to go first.
> I don't think WP would have liked Bartlett, Toby, Josh, et al any
better
>than he liked Hawkeye and Trapper John ("Thanatos," page 337 - Farrar
Straus
>edition). Talk about your sin of pride. The puffed up little roosters in
this
>program seem to think that everything in the universe - including the
alignment
>of the stars - is determined by what they do. And they want to micromanage

>everything. (Challenge: Name three aspects of daily life the characters on
Left
>Wing haven't at one time or other talked about passing legislation to
control.
>OK, name one.) The program promotes a form of secular humanism - the
>particularly vacuous Hollywood branch - all directed out of Washington.
Walker was a

http://www.ibiblio.org/wpercy/hypermail