percy-l - Re: [percy-l] The West Wing's comment on Biblical contradictions

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion of Walker Percy

  • From: LTberrywtr AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] The West Wing's comment on Biblical contradictions
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:49:42 EDT

Scruton is right, of course, though I would have said a whiff of methane.
Deconstructionism and postmodernism are nothing more than nihilism
tricked up in academic frizzies. They are - as one of the Democratic
candidates for
president was recently described by an opponent - tickets to nowhere. I'm
sure
WP treated then with the contempt they so richly deserve.
I'm a bit surprised through that fiscally conservative state legislators
haven't picked up on what may be the only upside to this nonsense. Following
the logic of post-everything, we could all save a bundle of tax money by
firing
every literature professor in the republic. I mean, what do we need them for?
All we have to do is have a graduate assistant - or since we really no longer
need literature phds, a janitor would do - on hand to tell all students
arriving for their first day in literature classes, "Folks, just read
anything you
want to. Nothing is better than anything else, and it all means whatever you
want it to mean. You don't have to come back. Have a nice life."
Of course I'm kidding - sort of - because if we really followed the logic
of post-everything and cashiered all literature professors (and professors of
just about everything else on the liberal arts side) then a lot of you fine
folks in this fun but funky forum would have to get real jobs. Lord knows,
I'm
not suggesting that.
Cheers,
--Larry