percy-l - Re: [percy-l] The West Wing's comment on Biblical contradictions

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: LTberrywtr AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] The West Wing's comment on Biblical contradictions
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:57:50 EDT

Jim, et al -
Might be fun to kick around the question: What would WP think about West
Wing? I'll volunteer to go first.
I don't think WP would have liked Bartlett, Toby, Josh, et al any better
than he liked Hawkeye and Trapper John ("Thanatos," page 337 - Farrar Straus
edition). Talk about your sin of pride. The puffed up little roosters in this
program seem to think that everything in the universe - including the
alignment
of the stars - is determined by what they do. And they want to micromanage
everything. (Challenge: Name three aspects of daily life the characters on
Left
Wing haven't at one time or other talked about passing legislation to
control.
OK, name one.) The program promotes a form of secular humanism - the
particularly vacuous Hollywood branch - all directed out of Washington.
Walker was a
political liberal for a good deal of his life, but not this branch.
Thanks to a life devoted to avoiding legitimate work, I've put in
considerable time working in and around politics. It don't work the way it's
shown
on the program. I'm sure other folks like me, who've actually worked in
politics, laugh at the show the same way cops laugh at cop shows.
I guess the show can be justified as entertainment, if viewers realize
that's what it is. LW gives us some snappy and funny lines, and Donna's
sweaters have something to be said for them. But beyond that, it's a dead
bang waste
of an hour for me.
-- Larry