percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Re: Some Random Thoughts, Largely Unrelated, Based on Previous Discussions and Readings

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Earthrise Press <earthrisepress AT comcast.net>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Re: Some Random Thoughts, Largely Unrelated, Based on Previous Discussions and Readings
  • Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 11:35:00 -0500

Thanks Ken, for the welcome.

I don't want to interfere with your duties but assume you can
steal a moment or two since you responded.

Given the Percy venue of this list, I'd say Percy suggests in
the quotation I cite that the Enlightenment conception of man
was destroyed by the catastrophes of the 20th Century, a
common view he knew was not original to himself, i.e., so
runs most of modern literature.... The cosmos has become
a chaos, another commonplace. Isaac Bashevis Singer sums it up
well in his Nobel Lecture, in terms Percy might have agreed with:

"The serious writer of our time . . . cannot but see that the power of
religion, especially belief in revelation, is weaker today than it was in
any other epoch in human history. More and more children grow up without
faith in God, without belief in reward and punishment, in the immortality of
the soul, and even in the validity of ethics. The genuine writer cannot
ignore the fact that the family is losing its spiritual foundation. All the
dismal prophecies of Oswald Spengler have become realities since the Second
World War. No technological achievements can mitigate the disappointment of
modern man, his loneliness, his feeling of inferiority, and his fear of war,
revolution and terror. Not only has our generation lost faith in Providence,
but also in man himself, in his institutions, and often in those who are
nearest to him." 1978.

A lot of water under the bridge since then....

I agree "man is his thought." In such a chaos, the struggle in the early
21st Century is for the definition of "we." Percy marks out his ground in
the rest of the piece I quoted from. I respect his conscience.

Frederick Glaysher