percy-l - RE: [percy-l] Re: Some Random Thoughts, Largely Unrelated, Based on Previous Discussions and Readings

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Gray, Rich" <RGray AT montreat.edu>
  • To: "'percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] Re: Some Random Thoughts, Largely Unrelated, Based on Previous Discussions and Readings
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:38:39 -0500

I'm an instructor at Montreat College in Western North Carolina.  My Percy interest focuses on his novels.

I just met with a reading circle who were finishing Thanatos Syndrome, Percy's last novel.  Some of them objected articulately to the chaos in the plot: the Belle Ame school scene toward the end, the barrage of themes, Father Smith's whacky sermon at the end, and Tom More's passivity.  I responded that this jumble of odd characters and scenes is Percy's way of reaching out toward the unnamed, post-Christian, chaotic age.

How would any of you respond?

 Rich Gray