pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] comments on 0.2.0

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] comments on 0.2.0
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:52:22 -0400

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

QUICK RESPONSE TO LAWRENCE IN CAPS:

Relationships matching could, in reality, become the heart of PIW or at least one of its most popular and most
often used features. BECOME THE HEART? IT *IS* THE HEART ;)

It started out as a permaculture plants database and is still mostly that. So what I am talking about is extending it to include relationships matching, and matching not just plants, animals, insects, other lifeforms but data representing important cultural requirements as well, meaning matching environmental factors to those required to sustain the ecological niche of a lifeform or lifeforms as in a guild or body of lifeforms matched in a relationship that require similar environmental conditions for survival.

I wonder what Stephanie thinks of extending PIW functionality and data gathering into this area since she was interested in SARE funding for PIW use by market farmers
at one time.
YES, I WAS INTERESTED IN THIS POSSIBILITY. AND STILL AM. BUT AFTER
DISCUSSING WITH FOLKS AND DOING A BIT OF RESEARCH, I DECIDED IT'S SOMETHING TO
PURSUE IN THE FUTURE ONCE WE HAVE SOMETHING SOLID.

Valuable data can be gathered from ag people who will become avid future users of PIW while fulfilling the terms of some sustainable agriculture grant as PIW is in an early development stage. I think this is well worth doing. Maybe someone else could be found to get a SARE grant or funding from a similar source to add farmer-specific resources to PIW.