pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] comments on 0.2.0

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] comments on 0.2.0
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:19:11 -0400

Chad Knepp wrote:

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> Chad Knepp wrote:
> > >Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:

> I'd like to see it in 1.0 now, if that is possible. Reason is, I rely > extensively on searches (Google for the
> most part) for info on arcane topics, like "lupine" and N2Fixation, > optimum hosting conditions in farm soil for
> varieties of (which plants host which n2fixing bacteria and which soils > do these bacteria exist in - surveys have been done for this type of > thing))
> N2Fixing bacteria (and this means discovering RELATIONSHIPS with other > lifeforms that are important in this context)

I was actually talking about something a little different, but what
you are describing is in the works as an essential element to create
relationship sets, etc. Won't be hard to spin it off as a seperate
tool.

Relationships matching could, in reality, become the heart of PIW or at least one of its most popular and most
often used features. Looking at the big picture, Any User Anywhere, gardener, farmer, landscaper, planner, designer, architect,
contractor, etc., etc. could find it an invaluable tool. Other than plant relationships one might need relationships info on many topics.
A farmer might want to know what the _relationship_ between rotten silage and rotten manure, spoiled hay and wood shavings,
for land application to build fertility, tilth and biological activity in the soil. Maybe there are reasons not to apply silage and manure at the same time
or shavings and silage or there might be a relationship (a positive one) between rock dusts and manure, or silage for land application.
Since this is a PERMACULTURE information _web_ database with relationships matching then info of this sort could become really useful,
along with plant info, to many people around the world. Building a soil amendments data collection integrated into the db dataset would
be something users should be encouraged to do. This could be done through direct user input and by using xml to glean data from many other data sources, databases and
a variety of archives (I have a number of these as mail2html/Hypermail or Mhonarc), text, html, ftp and mailing list (compost tea, sanet and the permaculture list).

I wonder what Stephanie thinks of extending PIW functionality and data gathering into this area since she was interested in SARE funding for PIW use by market farmers
at one time.