pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] comments on 0.2.0

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] comments on 0.2.0
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:04:40 -0400

Chad Knepp wrote:

Stephanie Gerson writes:

> CAN'T USERS SORT BY DIFFERENT CHARACTERISTICS? SORT ALPHABETICALLY, BY > RELEVANCE, BY USER RANKING, ETC.?

I think I'm beating a dead horse here, but if you can understand why
Google doesn't sort alphabetically then you can understand why I also
think it's a bad idea. Google displays the results first that it
thinks are the closest match to your search query.
Then, would it be possible for users to put search results, selectively chosen, for a series of searches on the same search string, into a cache
and have PIW run a variety of sort routines on them (alphabetic, date submitted, characteristics, relationships rating [how well this object fits into known or potential
relationships with other objects], user ranking, relevance, quality rating of data chosen to represent that object, and more?