pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] comments on 0.2.0

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] comments on 0.2.0
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:41:08 -0400

Chad Knepp wrote:

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> Chad Knepp wrote:
> > >Stephanie Gerson writes:
> >
> > > CAN'T USERS SORT BY DIFFERENT CHARACTERISTICS? SORT ALPHABETICALLY, BY > > > RELEVANCE, BY USER RANKING, ETC.?
> >
> >I think I'm beating a dead horse here, but if you can understand why
> >Google doesn't sort alphabetically then you can understand why I also
> >think it's a bad idea. Google displays the results first that it
> >thinks are the closest match to your search query. > >
> Then, would it be possible for users to put search results, selectively > chosen, for a series of searches on the same search string, into a cache
> and have PIW run a variety of sort routines on them (alphabetic, date > submitted, characteristics, relationships rating [how well this object > fits into known or potential
> relationships with other objects], user ranking, relevance, quality > rating of data chosen to represent that object, and more?

Yes, this is sort of along the line of filters suggested by Bear and
others. I don't think this is in the 1.0 feature set though, unless
other folks really want it now.

I'd like to see it in 1.0 now, if that is possible. Reason is, I rely extensively on searches (Google for the
most part) for info on arcane topics, like "lupine" and N2Fixation, optimum hosting conditions in farm soil for
varieties of (which plants host which n2fixing bacteria and which soils do these bacteria exist in - surveys have been done for this type of thing))
N2Fixing bacteria (and this means discovering RELATIONSHIPS with other lifeforms that are important in this context)

I was thinking of something like this:

user searches PIW for a string
results are displayed in one or more pages

each individual result has a check box beside it: "add to results cache page?"
and at the bottom or top of each page you see: "display results cache now?"

don't know for sure how this would look but, if the results cache page spilled out into multiple pages
you would still perform sort routines on all of them at once and simply browse through multiple pages of
reformatted results