pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Fancy front end

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Fancy front end
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:10:19 +0000

Aloha,

JOB II *IS* AT THE HEART OF HG, AND PART OF WHAT WE RECEIVED FUNDING FOR. (DID ANYONE NOTICE THE CONNECTION BETWEEN JIM FOURNIER'S INVOLVEMENT WITH PLANETWORK AND HG'S MISSION???) I'D ALSO ENCOURAGE US TO PLEASE STOP SEPARATING MESSAGE FROM MEDIUM.

For purposes of properly testing the back end, especially in terms of data integrity and the like but also including basic functionality, we need a simple and basic HTML-based front end that makes it easy to test the back end. IOW a fancy front end gets in the way of clearly seeing what's going on with the back end.

It will be very difficult/near impossible to test a fancy GBI or whatever front end if we don't know the back end is reasonably clean and stable - and vice versa.

So in the context of development and testing, we will need to have ways to separate content and presentation.

> HG WILL BE VALUABLE NOT ONLY FOR ITS
CONTENT, BUT ALSO FOR THE WAY CONTENT IS PRESENTED

And as with web site design, some people will love the GBI-type front end and some will be indifferent and some will not even like it and prefer to use a textual/web-forms based front end to get what they want out of the DB.

Limiting the available options is not a systems approach, so we will (eventually) have a variety of options for user interaction with the database itself.