pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Industrial Ecology for the Disbelievers

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Industrial Ecology for the Disbelievers
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:45:38 -0800

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

I say this because Job I seems to be such an immense project, the heart of HG, without which Job II
(which could be farmed out to some other entity) cannot be accomplished."

JOB II *IS* AT THE HEART OF HG, AND PART OF WHAT WE RECEIVED FUNDING FOR. (DID ANYONE NOTICE THE CONNECTION BETWEEN JIM FOURNIER'S INVOLVEMENT WITH PLANETWORK AND HG'S MISSION???) I'D ALSO ENCOURAGE US TO PLEASE STOP SEPARATING MESSAGE FROM MEDIUM. HG WILL BE VALUABLE NOT ONLY FOR ITS CONTENT, BUT ALSO FOR THE WAY CONTENT IS PRESENTED - A MODEL TOOL FOR SYSTEMS THINKING AND EDUCATION.
<...>
> THIS IS GOING TO BE A DATABASE OF INFORMATION ABOUT ECOLOGICAL
RELATIONSHIPS.

I agree with Stephanie that the PIW user interface will be extremely
important.
A big reason: users SEEING relationships, graphically, between elements will
be
enlightened and educated in ways that might not happen with different,
simpler, less robust
interfaces. The likely result will be that they will discover information
resources
to add to the PIW database that might not have occured to them otherwise.
This leads to
an enhanced and more diverse dataset, a more useful PIW, greater usage and
popularity,
more Google hits and quite possibly greatly increased funding possibilities.