pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Plone integration

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Plone integration
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:31:34 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,

> I have one question that I don't need to know the answer to right off,
> but that we may want to discuss. This is, do we want to couple our
> project tightly with Plone. I can, using Plone Archetypes, create
> objects that are compatible with the plone CMS style of doing things,
> subject to workflows, reviews, etc. The immediate/obvious advantage
> is that things like comments, articles, and discussions already exist
> in Plone

As long as these objects can pass their relevant info out to other clients
via a common medium/well-defined API (using XML for transport I assume),
this would be a good leveraging of plone's features.

In other words, we know that we will want to have a variety of clients,
and that other people may come along later and develop yet more clients.
Our initial 'client' (UI) can be built on zope/plone, as long as we don't
thereby compromise our ability to plug in other clients (front ends,
whatevah ya call 'em).

In other words, as long as the coupling with plone is on the back end and
doesn't compromise front end options.

I'm guessing you already thought of that...?