pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] starting then...

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] starting then...
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:46:39 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> Chad Knepp wrote:
>
> > I have one question that I don't need to know the answer to right off,
> > but that we may want to discuss. This is, do we want to couple our
> > project tightly with Plone. I can, using Plone Archetypes, create
> > objects that are compatible with the plone CMS style of doing things,
> > subject to workflows, reviews, etc. The immediate/obvious advantage
> > is that things like comments, articles, and discussions already exist
> > in Plone and we don't have to create them later. I can also do this
> > pretty easily at a later date so I don't need to know right off.
>
> Does this mean that you would create, using the above-mentioned
> tools, the data entry interface for users to input material into
> the DB? Or do you plan to use other programming tools for this and
> if so would the end product offer the same or similar features as
> Plone (comments, articles, and discussions [and email notification
> of changes and new data entries])?

More or less answering you and John S. here... Yes, and yes. I don't
mean to imply limited to Plone, but including Plone. The fact that
Zope by default supports xml-rpc means that we can write all sorts of
tools to add/manipulate data that are not just web browsers. I will
probably write a python/GTK+ client for fun and personal use fairly
early on. I think what I'm asking is for buy in to the idea that by
exerting a small amount of additional effort I can make HG compatible
with Plone so that we can have comments, news items, discussions,
etc. without having to write those features separately.

> On another subject, a suggestion: Every record in every field in
> the DB should be appendable to an alphabetized Index hotlinked
> (hyperlinked or the Zope/Plone/whatever equivalent) to the search
> form wherein the item name is autimagically inserted in that form
> ready for the user to initiate the search.

I'm not understanding you here, explain more...

> I think a lot of users will want to see some sort of table of
> contents and index that mirrors the DB content, just the individual
> items, no description or other reference data. They may want to see
> graphically (text) the scope and content of the DB.

This is easy, and even with PFAF data sort of mind boggling as I've
occasionally selected every item in the db.

perl -e 'print pack"H*","7079674067616c617465612e6f72670a"'