pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] frustrated

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] frustrated
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:23:34 -0700

John Schinnerer wrote:

Lawrence, your server cost estimates are moot, as ibiblio already stated that the expected cost of the machine they would spec would be $6K - $10K

Right at $6000.

<><>
Ibiblio runs IBM XSeries 335 Intel Based Servers.

xSeries 335
Form factor Rack
Processor type Xeon
Processor speed 3060 MHz
Processor cache 512 KB
Hot swap HDD Yes
Memory 512 MB
Maximum memory 8192 MB
Optical drive 24X CD-ROM
$2,089.00

Accessories and Options Selected Part No Unit Price*
Integrated Mirroring - 2 HDD's required 1 $0.00
3.06 GHz 533MHz 512KB L2 Cache Xeon Processor 1 $949.00
IBM 73.4 GB 10K rpm Ultra320 SCSI Hot-Swap HDD 2 $878.00
IBM 1 GB PC2100 CL2.5 ECC DDR SDRAM DIMM 2 $1,238.00

Base price: *
$2,089.00
Configured Price: *
$5,154.00

The price will be somewhat below this when we add the state discount. I
believe it would be around 4500 dollars.

Additionally, you've got some options. As is, the drives are mirrorred,
which gives os 73G onboard space. If you'd like more space, we could move
the disks into RAID, though that would require the purchase of a RAID
controller. Additionally, if we could add more memory (2GB more), we
always like that. It will cost an additional 1600 dollars though.
<><>
More:
--
That server is a 1U server (we're under severe space constraints), it only
has two disk slots.

To add an onboard raid controller would give us marginally more onboard
space, the main benefit of a RAID card being we could physically attach
disk if need be. With the high performance NAS, we won't be in need of
that.
-
This would require the purchase of a separate disk enclosure, though.
Since the servers are 1U (about 2 inches thick), it won't accept any more
than 2 disks. Attaching any more disk would involve the purchase of a
disk array, at substantial cost.
-

With the extra 2GB of RAM (4GB total) we're talking about adding 1800
dollars.

As for CPU, we're using both CPU slots as is (its a dual CPU box).

The price of this box would likely be about 6000, give or take.
Added:

Raid controller
2 gigs ram for a total of 4 gigs

Total cost before state discount: just over $6000
<><>

Also on hosting - we don't even know if we can host our issue tracker on ibiblio yet, never mind zope!

Maybe this is possible. Wasn't Rich working on doing that at Sourceforge?