pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] hosting on ibiblio, funding, etc.

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] hosting on ibiblio, funding, etc.
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:30:40 -0700

Tell you what. I'll give you the $2200 I have offered HG to cover some of the programming costs if the project can be done on ibiblio using their software.

It looks like Chad is stuck on developing HG on John H.'s Zope machine with
the prospect of paying for commercial hosting
somewhere and the remote possibility of ibiblio running Zope and moving there at that time, maybe, maybe he hopes to host somewhere other than there permanently. Stephanie's silence is very curious. John S. is adamantly in the Zope camp. This is wasteful and if we get no more funding will end the project, whereas if we are on ibiblio we could be there forever.

I am against doing any HG development anywhere other than on ibiblio. I am also against using Zope for development unless it is on ibiblio and that is not likely for some time to come, imho.

If Chad refuses to use ibiblio and something other than Zope I offer the following proposal. We split the group, the Zope people go their way and you and others and I in the ibiblio/MySQL camp get on with the project. The terms of the grant will require that the money be used by those fulfilling the terms of the grant, which I assume you are fully capable of doing. As I said I can offer $2200 and maybe more if
development picks up speed and we have something online to use.

I and others can do some fundraising on our own to help out, mostly spot donations and the PayPal thing, all channeled through the Permaculture Institute.

I am beginning to wonder exactly where Chad, Stephanie and John S. plan to
take our project.

  • [pcplantdb] hosting on ibiblio, funding, etc., Lawrence F. London, Jr., 08/19/2004