pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Thoughts on Zope

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Thoughts on Zope
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:55:28 +0000

Aloha,

A few more bits on your questions...

John Howe wrote:
Hi Folks,

1) Everything seems to be placed in a giant object database
Zope-Instance\var\Data.fs
thats the page templates, scripts, and our actual data.

http://zope.org/Members/shh/ExtFile

Yep, and there are some other products that offer other storage options - one for storing zope objects in a SQL DB, no less (how twisted is that... ;-)

And of course Zope Enterprise Objects for scaling/distributing the object DB (and not a monolithic file either, afaik).

2) All work needs to be done via the web interface.

There is an extension called ZShell @
http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/ZShell/action_Presentation

WebDAV is supported as well, so you can use any editor you like that supports WebDAV.

3) It does not (by default) work through the web server, instead
creating its own server with a different port.

or run as a cgi ( fastcgi )

It plays nice behind apache, at least on John H.'s setup for me.

3) I have 1000 photos to upload. Can I automate the process?
I'm going to get very board (and give up) if I need to use a
file upload 1000 times.

See ExtFile above

Absolutely. Anything that can be done via the ZMI (the TTW interface) can be done programmatically. So can stuff that can't be done through the ZMI.

4) What if the database gets corrupted? With a monolithic file we could
be in danger of loosing everything.

The same could be said for mysql, as the db is stored in flat files per
table/index generally. Or Oracle loosing it's control file. This is part
of disaster recovery procedures.

Exactly - this is an infrastructure/backup/recovery issue, not a dev platform issue.
Nice try though ;-)

>>There may be stuff which at first seems to be easy using zope, but could
have unforsean consequences.

I cannot think of any dev platform in existence that I could not apply that statement to. There's always what we don't know we don't know, regardless of platform.