pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Richard Re: dataset and client/server API

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Richard Re: dataset and client/server API
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:58:17 +0000

Aloha,

There was a comment in here somewhere from Chad I think regarding images and dialup users - when returning query results, etc. - missed it on my larger reply...

Images (and overall page size) returned from a user query should *always* be "accessible" size, meaning assume a mediocre dialup connection.
Total page size should be ~100K or less.

If "lots" of images are returned, they should be relatively small thumbnails linked to larger versions (in rows or whatever) and should be batched if more than a large handful or two are returned. User-adjustable batch size would be nice some future day, meanwhile just use a number that keeps the page size small enough.

We can always provide links to massive image files for those with the bandwidth for them.
We should never return massive image (or any other kine) files by default (until in some far future enhancement we ask user to indicate their bandwidth and then key allowable page size off of that... :-)

I will be all over this when we get rolling, as I think I am probably the only one here on dialup...!

For web UI design, see useit.com as one excellent resource...for CSS and web standards see alistapart.com and resources linked there...

tropically,