pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] OO design info

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant DB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] OO design info
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:02:35 +0000

Aloha,

Chad, thanks for posting the zope site article on OO design. Hadn't seen that one myself and it was well and clearly written - hopefully clarifies some of my early ramblings about why IMO OO is the way to go for what we're trying to do - model complex objects and their interactions!

Rich brought up the question of what objects we need...
My very brief response is basically what the article says about OO design...one starts with the most basic elements - ideally common to most everything we'd eventually create - and creates a base class (simplest objects we'll have). There may be a couple of these, not necessarily just one.

So what attributes (data) and methods (code) are most fundamental to what we're doing?
Should we have a wiki page for tracking this thread...?
Chad, have you already got a working idea of where to start here?
If so pass it around, let's see what the rest of us make of it.

Anyhow...from there on, the base classes (the "blueprints" for our simplest essential and necessary objects, which contain attributes and methods we think will be common to all our objects) are used to build more complex classes, which can then themselves be used to build yet more complex classes, and so on...and so on...and so on... :-)

cheers,