pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] OO design info

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] OO design info
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 17:49:45 -0500

John Schinnerer writes:
> Aloha,
>
> For the less technical among us, I will translate Chad's comments
> succinctly:
>
> "I sure enough know what I am doing here and I am all over the OO design
> issues, yeh mon!"
>
> :-)

Flattery will get you anywhere ;-) ...and threading issues too. I
aced CS 315 'Microsoft Visual C++' by doing all the assignments in C
with the GTK+ toolkit on Linux with the skeptical approval of an open
minded prof. Do I sound arrogant now?

> > > So what attributes (data) and methods (code) are most fundamental to
> > > what we're doing?
> > > Should we have a wiki page for tracking this thread...?
> > > Chad, have you already got a working idea of where to start here?
> > > If so pass it around, let's see what the rest of us make of it.
> >
> > Plant objects are pretty obvious, at least the attributes. I will
> > submit an attribute proposal based on our current dataset for comments
> > in the very near future.
>
> This is one of the areas that I think we already discussed...we want to
> get lots of input from our potential user base to flesh out the
> "obvious" attributes with "what da people want..."
>
> I'm thinking we do our best, starting with your proposal, and then put
> some sort of simple working prototype out there for the larger community
> to see and comment on. Hopefully they actually will, and that will give
> us perhaps some additional takes on attributes that "real-world" users
> would find useful.

Specifically the locale specific attributes are not well represented
in the PFAF/Eden data model. There are certainly other things I
haven't thought of. I will post a list of current attributes in the
dataset tomorrow to kick off the discussion.