pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] OO design info

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] OO design info
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 22:09:44 +0000

Aloha,

For the less technical among us, I will translate Chad's comments succinctly:

"I sure enough know what I am doing here and I am all over the OO design issues, yeh mon!"

:-)

> So what attributes (data) and methods (code) are most fundamental to > what we're doing?
> Should we have a wiki page for tracking this thread...?
> Chad, have you already got a working idea of where to start here?
> If so pass it around, let's see what the rest of us make of it.

Plant objects are pretty obvious, at least the attributes. I will
submit an attribute proposal based on our current dataset for comments
in the very near future.

This is one of the areas that I think we already discussed...we want to get lots of input from our potential user base to flesh out the "obvious" attributes with "what da people want..."

I'm thinking we do our best, starting with your proposal, and then put some sort of simple working prototype out there for the larger community to see and comment on. Hopefully they actually will, and that will give us perhaps some additional takes on attributes that "real-world" users would find useful.

I would like to be on the side of having attributes we
don't ever use than having to add them later

Definitely agree!

although I suspect we
will certainly need to tweak something later on.

Almost inevitable... :-o

> class HGObject ():
"Base class"

If you actually use 'HGObject' then someday we can have FAQs and trivia contests about where the class names originally came from...like 'bobobase' in zope history... :-)

An interesting thing in my experience of OO programing is that I don't
usually write base classes in their entirety right away. Actual
development of the classes is almost parallel and I often realize that
something in a subclass (the more complex class) could actually be
generalized and should be in the superclass (the base class).

Sounds wise and prudent. I am finding this out in my small OO efforts lately...