pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] synthesis[6][8.5.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] synthesis[6][8.5.04]
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:28:43 -0700

hi everybody,

Ok, so here we go again. Please read this thoroughly because shucks it
takes me a long time to do all this synthesizin:

-PROJECT NAME – We have to come up with one! So, I somewhat figured out
how to post my name ideas to the wiki – I say somewhat because it looks
awful. You may visit it at http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/
index.php/Decision%20pages?action=edit. Or, I have compiled a list of
all name ideas presented thus far, and pasted it below (for easier
reading). PLEASE CHECK THIS LIST OUT, AND VOTE FOR YOUR TOP THREE NOW.
Now, as in right now (not like later now). And if you have additional
name suggestions, send them to me and I will re-compile the list and re-
send it out (a la re-synthesis). Ok? Or if you would rather do it on
the wiki – Rich, would you mind fixing what I added to the wiki so that
it is better formatted? (Perdon hermano, me cuesta mucho trabajo.)
Whether we make the decision on the wiki or in this listserv with what I
cut and pasted, though, let’s decide *ahora*. I feel like HG is having
somewhat of an identity crisis…

(And can someone please tell me what the difference is between the URL
above and this one http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/
DiscussionAboutNames? Are they two different wikis or what?)

-PROJECT PLAN – No one responded to the project plan questions I asked in
[synthesis][5]. Please check that post and respond to me ASAP. John
wrote, “I am fine with a flexible project plan timeline. As long as we
all stay up front with our situations/capabilities/resources as we go I
think it will work out OK.” Flexible is fine with me, but like you say,
we must stay up front.

With regards to that, following are the tasks for this week – read them,
and everyone por favor respond to me with a personal status report. All
you gotta do is check the plan, and update me with where you are so I can
edit it accordingly. Please? I type all of this in order to help us
out, so help me help us:

∑ Whoever is in charge of shared web workspace (as determined Week 1)
creates it
∑ Vote for top 3 name suggestions on wiki, by Wednesday!
∑ John Howe
o Prepare communication to Ibiblio
o Get your “box” set up to start the project
∑ Chad
o Finish demo accounting/budgeting app. in ZODB w/CLI
o Create a Zope front end for app (to learn Zope)
∑ Stephanie
o write first draft of email describing project to PC lists, sends to
team for feedback
o write up description user interface/experience, send to list
o re-create project plan with new project management software, if need be
∑ Lawrence
o write a clear description of relationship between PCKnowledgebase and
HG (if separate entities)
∑ John
o set up issue tracking system and whatever data/parameters/
customizations are necessary to start using it on our project
∑ Paula
o Send info about her work to the list

-SEPARATE TECH LIST – Lawrence wrote, “Better to keep this list for
technical development since the archives contain a chronology of
technical discussion. I will create public one with the same name that
you decide on for the project.” Didn’t you say that you could transfer
archives to the new list? And if not, can you re-subscribe list members
or will they have to re-subscribe themselves?

-HEY YOU – so no one responded to my “HEY YOU” post, estoy triste. Any

ideas for getting other list members to introduce themselves?

-COMMUNICATION WITH THE PUBLIC – I reallllllllly want to prepare a post
for the PC lists this weekend, meaning I reallllllllly want us to have a
name (hint hint: check the names and vote on them). And Lawrence,
Journey to Forever sounds fascinating – thanks for the reference. I will
also send the post I prepare for PC lists to them. So I guess this means
that I am nominating myself for the role of public relations (blegh, I
have too many friends that do "PR" and I always thought that sounded like
the most absurd job title…). Is that ok with everyone?

-ZOPE/IBIBLIO – where are we with this? John H., sorry to be a pest, but
when do you plan to contact Ibiblio? And what do we plan to do if they
are not willing to host ZOPE?

Lawrence wrote, “PCPlantDb/HG/PC Knowledgebase needs to exist for farmers
and all others involved in any field of agriculture, especially
landscapers, nurserymen, horticulturists,'community gardeners
and more - not just permaculture people interested in plant communities
and guilds.” I completely agree with this, and actually included this in
the grant proposal. And if Ibiblio is conducive to achieving this end, I
think we should definitely go with them.

-LICENSE – so we decided on a license, that was pretty cool...but now
what? Is there something we have to do, or would we do this after the
project is complete? Rich, can you be in charge of this please?

-MISCELLANEOUS –
-Hey John H., since you are helping out quite a bit, would you like to be
included in the grant? We had included another team member, Robin
Williamson, who is missing in action, so I could exchange her name with
yours. Not like we are overflowin with cash or anything, but I would
like those that contribute significantly to this project to be
compensated. What do you say?

-Thank you Rich for your interesting comments about objects. I can’t to
delve into this kind of discussion, which will be the fun part!

-Chad, do you know how many people use Eden? (As in, hits per day?)
Have you gotten any feedback? Would be nice to know for grant proposals.
By the way, don’t drown my friend...er maybe you could take a nice swim?

-Congrats and thanks to Rich and Chad for creating those proofs of
concept. Yup. Nice to see something materialize.

Finally, once again, don’t mean to sound autocratic, just want us to get
our act together so we can work most effectively. So please vote on
names, check the project plan, and let me know what’s going on, ok?

gracias.

paz
*Stephanita

p.s. what is afaik?

vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote
vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote

NAME IDEAS

words to play with:
∑ Connections
∑ Strands
∑ Web
∑ Thread
∑ Relationship
∑ Relational
∑ relation
∑ Link
∑ In between
∑ Net
∑ Map
∑ Guild
∑ Associations
∑ Systems
∑ Holistic
∑ Family
∑ Lineage
∑ Kin
∑ Family tree
∑ Food web
∑ Ecosystem
∑ bionetwork

names:
(please note, this is pure stream of consciousness, so some are
definitely uncool. add suggestions! ones I like best have * next to
them, although I don’t find any super appealing, I’ll keep pondering.
And think web/system/guild of information, because that is essentially
what we are creating.)
∑ Infinityinbetween – exploring the infinite between the finite…
∑ Infinitybetween
∑ Infinitebetween
∑ Inbetween*
∑ between*
∑ Webstrands
∑ Databasiconnections
∑ Databasestrands
∑ Pcwebdb
∑ Pcwebdatabase
∑ Webmap
∑ Databasemap
∑ Pcmapdb
∑ Linkmap
∑ Guildmap
∑ Guilddb
∑ Systemsmap
∑ Guildstrands
∑ Guildnet
∑ Threesisters
∑ Morethanthreesisters
∑ Manysisters
∑ Infosystem
∑ Datasystem
∑ Infomap
∑ Datamap
∑ Infoweb
∑ Dataweb
∑ Infoguild*
∑ Dataguild*
∑ Knowledgemap*
∑ Knowledgeweb*
∑ Knowledgeguild*

Name ideas that have already been thrown out:
* pcknowledgebase
* permacultureknowledgebase
* permaculturedatabase
* openplant
* openplantdb
* opensourceplantdb
* openpcdb
* openpermaculturedb
* openpermacultureproject
* openpermacultureknowledgebase
* openpcknowledgebase
* openpermaknowledgedb

vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote
vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote

hey what if we just called it impeachbush? I bet that's already taken