pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Zope

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Zope
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:09:34 -0500

Richard Morris writes:
> John Howe wrote:
> > My services go though johncompanies.com in San Diego. I used to have a
> > co-located server in Seattle, however, I found it easier to outsource
> > hardware management. Johncompanies.com provides the following: triple
> > homed networking, hardware management, and daily backups. I get 40g/month
> > network throughput ( with ability to scale ) and I am happy with the
> > service there, ( don't have to deal with failing hardware issues anymore,
> > no pager calls) and host several domains.
> >
> Folks might like to know that the pfaf website has aproximatly
> 10 GB/month bandwidth. So its likely pcpdb-hg it would eat a big chunk
> of the bandwidth.
>
> I still think ibiblio is probably the best place for hosting as its
> good to be associated with the ibiblio name.
>
> A dedicated server is interesting, but do we want to get involved
> in maintaining apache, keeping a mySQL server running, constantly
> applying bug fixes and fixing security holes?

Actually that sounds like fun. The real issue would be the mega $$$
this would require. I agree that ibiblio is the best long term
solution for its reliability/longevity as well as for its name. In
the meantime I think it might make sense to start development on John
Howe's server while we work things out with ibiblio. I don't think we
will consume a noticeable amount of bandwidth during development. If
we ever figure out a name and register a domain we can easily switch
between servers without the end users being able to tell.