pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Zope

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Howe" <warlock@arashi.com>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Zope
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:26:08 -0700 (PDT)

> Exactly what kind of resources do you have John that you could offer
> us? I'll put my name out there as well as someone who could
> temporarily host zope/cvs/bugzilla. I'm already overquota with the
> Eden MySQL db, but the company I use are also my friends and live next
> door. Another solution is that we just break down and buy ourselves
> our own account somewhere. I bet a $25-30/month account would be all
> we needed unless we got popular (Lord, curse me thusly ;-).

My services go though johncompanies.com in San Diego. I used to have a
co-located server in Seattle, however, I found it easier to outsource
hardware management. Johncompanies.com provides the following: triple
homed networking, hardware management, and daily backups. I get 40g/month
network throughput ( with ability to scale ) and I am happy with the
service there, ( don't have to deal with failing hardware issues anymore,
no pager calls) and host several domains.

Consider me a sole-proprietor web-hosting reseller with focus on
development support. The base system is Debian 3.0 w/some tweaks of mine.

Anyhoo, I have been online for a while and do not intend to go away
anytime soon. Since I directly manage the system, I have the ability to
make more agile changes that say more established web presences. Think of
my server like a pioneer field where rapid prototyping can occur. I incur
all the hosting costs myself, however, I am inclined to share space with
projects that interest me, such as HG.

My current feeling is that I have resources I can dedicate to getting a
prototype of HG hosted in relatively short time. The pioneer inception can
allow for the evolution of HG and eventually mature enough to move towards
ibiblio ( predicated on Zope, platform issues ). Protyping here, I can do
performance metrics on the application to report back to the ibiblio
people as well.

And Chad, you have mentioned you can also host ( as you are currently
doing with Eden ).

> Another zope snag that I've been thinking about is related to
> Richard. I'm not sure what kind of PHP integration there is with
> zope. Zope is really kind of alternative to PHP and using PHP with
> zope might be kind of redundant. I actually haven't looked into this,
> but John^2 would probably know. Anyway, Richard, consider learning
> zope.

PHP generally runs as an apache module, or as a stand alone CGI
application. There is a PHPTAL project that may be of interest @
http://nyphp.org/content/presentations/3templates/phptal/. ( Code in PHP,
and migrate to Zope later? ).

Zope also has a PHParser/PHPGateway @
http://zope.org/Members/hewei/PHParser/, so theoretically, PHP code could
be migrated to Zope in incremental steps ( migrate existing PHP code base
into Zope proper ).

Then again, there is mod_python for apache as well @
http://www.modpython.org/ for speed of execution.