pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] An old issue revisted

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] An old issue revisted
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 00:55:31 -0700

Thought I'd bring this up again to see what comes of discussion about it:

<quoted from an email to SG of HG fame (& fortune):>

"Rich has made it clear that PFAF may want to license commercial
use of the database someday. They should do this and have
every right to do so, however, the issue of compensation/recognition for
all the folks who contributed information to the database over the
long haul (data, graphics, design ideas, publicity, anything else) has
largely been ignored. This was an issue for me from the start. Why
should anyone contribute a lot of time in research and data preparation
for their project, which they have little control over
and no compensation other than use of the database (what version of it
will they be able to use as opposed to what commercial licensees
will?) when they could contribute to a project completely owned by the
public, administered by public volunteers, not a database but using
other perfectly good software and hosted for free on ibiblio."

Anyone care to address this issue?