pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Re: holy guacamole....

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Re: holy guacamole....
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 19:59:45 -0500

John Schinnerer writes:
> Aloha,
>
> I'll try this again - server had a hiccup the other day...not sure if my
> replies got anywhere so I'll start again.
>
> > o I am super excited and would love to dive into the design stuff
> > immediately and off the clock. It would probably be nice to have a
> > tech list for this. Lawrence? Probably best to wait until John
> > has his phone though...
>
> Tomorrow, unless something tragic happens.
> Do we need a separate tech list? We seem to be the only ones here at this
> point. I can see the benefit of splitting them early on though, so up to
> y'all if you want to start it asap.

Well, no, we don't need one, but since it is so easy to do I think it
would be nice to 1) consolidate technical info about the project for
archival purposes and 2) create a forum for really geeky sh*t so we
don't scare interested folks off the main list (like saleemna sp?).

> <snip>
>
> > I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone. Steph are you
> > planning on announcing this to the permaculture list? I think it
> > would be great to do so and would be willing to do it if you
> > don't have time.
>
> It's vaporware so far. I'd be cautious about announcing anything
> more than that the project now has a bit of funding and will work
> on basic stuff.
> Could generate a lot of static and wish lists and whatever that we
> might not want to be bothered with to start.

I was thinking that it would be good to clue the permaculture folks
into the fact that we had funding and description of what we would be
doing (although this is a little unclear) in order to generate a
little excitement. More or less what you are suggesting. Short
version: Hey y'all we are making this really neat computer based
permaculture tool. I find it's beneficial to keep potential
clients/friends/colleagues well informed about developments that are
relevant to them. That's all I was hoping for. Hype, hype, hype!

Stephanie Gerson writes:
> <snip>
>
> - As for a licensing, I would recommend a Creative Commons License.
> Please check it out at http://creativecommons.org/ and let me know
> what you think.

For everything or the data or the code, and which CC license
specifically?

> -I'm not sure when we are fully funded, but I suggest we get
> started now (and sure, go ahead and track your hours). Because the
> work we do will assist us in securing funding in the future, and I
> am submitting a grant in the fall to the Whole Systems Foundation -
> so something to show would be fantastic.

I haven't done anything I think is worth being paid for yet. Could
you give us some guidelines on expectations around billable work? I
think that your writing grant applications falls completely within my
definition of billable, even if we didn't actually allot funding for
development. I'm hoping you are paying yourself for all of this.

> -Instant messaging? Ugh. But yes, it would be useful - do we want
> to use this?

I actually don't think we really need this yet or ever. I'm proposing
it as an alternative to high dollar conference calls. Personally
email is perfectly adequate for myself.

> -As for incorporating information, we could use the PFAF dataset or
> Paula's database. Rich and Paula, what do you say?

Paula's database?!? Hmmm... tell me more. This is new info to me.

> -I Love going with HG, especially when people ask what it stands
> for. And we'll have to eat it at our reunion someday... Having
> grown up in a Mexican household, I definitely make some delicious
> guacamole. You'll have to tell me if it qualifies as holy, though.
> I also like Rich's idea of starting a Guacamole Institute. What
> would that entail? Anyone know about this kind of thing?

Well, I would caution starting a real non-profit with Guacamole in the
title. Dancing Rabbit has had a hard time getting taken seriously
just because of the name of the project. Although I think both are
neat names, serious philanthropic organizations don't.

> <snip>

John: Can you be more specific about your 'net status and you ability
to participate in the project? I've been expecting that you would
have a significant role in the design and coding even though you may
think you are doing testing/QA. I need more geeks to bounce crazy
ideas off of to see if the are really crazy or kinda good and I'm
hoping that you will have more than 80 amp/hr power supply and a
better office than your car.

  • Re: [pcplantdb] Re: holy guacamole...., Chad Knepp, 07/02/2004