pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] ingredients for hg

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] ingredients for hg
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:49:57 -0700

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

have to tell me if it qualifies as holy, though. I also like Rich's idea of starting a Guacamole Institute. What would that entail? Anyone know about this kind of thing?

Permaculture Plants Online Databases, Inc., a 501C3 non-frofit corporation -
(or Permaculture Plants Opensource Databases, Inc.)
http://ppod.org

peapod for short, catchy and sorta fits

ppod.org is available

POD1 a plant database
POD2 a guild/ecological niche DB
POD3 a PC systems design DB (aquaculture, water and soil conservation,
habitat development (ties in with the guild db), terraforming,
earthworks and more
POD4 a gardening/farming/agroforestry DB (ties in with the plant db and
the guild db)

- so POD can receive funding directly from donors, foundations, NGO's (how
about getting funding from
internationally active NGO's for use by their various constituencies? - could
fit into the appropriate technology category and
most assuredly fill needs of various 3rd world indigenous and low income folks, in the land use through development of permaculture systems complete with appropriate selection of plant material for various uses - a PC plant/guild/other DB online aand accessable by field workers
and local teachers and practitioners as an educational, agricultural and development resource would be invaluable), government agencies, and other NP's.

What about discussing how the online DB might be used and specific groups of
people who may need it and for what purposes?
Also future PC DB's, following the plants one.

-As for URLs, I like the open plants idea. I wouldn't go with anything to complicated, like pcplantdb, because it's harder for people to remember. I also like going with something that refers to relationships, networks, strands (of a web), or in between - considering that this is about relationships between plants. www.inbetween.org is available - nice and simple? What do you say?

-Also, can I please be included on the tech list even though I won't understand anything? (Unless it's completely pointless for me to be on it - but I would like to just see what you techies are up to.)
-Finally, I will write an initial draft of message to lists and send it to you for comments within the next few days. Be thinking of any lists that you know of that we could send it to (I'm sure Lawrence knows them all!)