pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] ingredients for hg

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] ingredients for hg
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:48:03 -0700

hi folks,

I know this is a bit lengthy, but bear with me because I am going through
all the issues that have been raised:

-Lawrence suggested that we establish ourselves as a non-profit so that
we can receive direct funding. (Ok maybe not the Holy Guacamole
Institute, but something more serious – like the Fractal Peapod
Institute…heehee). I think this is a wonderful idea. He also suggested
that we contract someone else to do the bulk of the work for us. Whether
we contract out to an organization/person specialized in this kind of
work, or we contract someone on one of the Permaculture listservs to help
us and charge us less (what I vote for), this is going to cost money.
Are we willing to allocate funds towards this end? And if so, when?
Now? Or after we have already completed a portion of the project? And
let’s find out how much this would cost.

-Chad asked what counts as billable work. Hmmm… Because I am not
familiar with what goes into the tech work, perhaps the techies should
list the kind of work you will be doing – specifically that which would
count as billable. And I suggest that we make a project plan with
deadlines, etc. and all track our hours, and then only get paid after we
fulfill our responsibilities – at increments in the project plan (i.e.
after stage 1). Does this sound fair? But this means that we have to
make a project plan! (By the way, I know we all spend much time
communicating with each other – reading posts, responding, etc. – but I
don’t think this should count as billable work.)

-I like Lawrence’s wiki idea. Can we incorporate a wiki into this
project – both in the design project and as part of the resource itself?

-I suggested a CC license (did you all check it out? If not, please
visit http://creativecommons.org/ because I know that it offers
flexibility. However, I do not know what kind of license we want. This
is the old issue revisited - what is our relationship to PFAF? If we
chose to have some kind of license/copyright, what would be the
intention? I assume we want free accessibility (John’s point) and
compensation for participants (Lawrence’s point) – so what is the course
of action?

-About Paula, she has collected a wealth of information on plant
relationships in USDA zones 3, 4, and 5 – and she would like to
contribute this information to the hg database. She’ll write to us soon…

-I’m down with ppod

-I feel like we should perhaps redefine our roles, responsibilities, etc.
This will happen if we create a project plan, and devise what specific
tasks we are responsible for. Does anyone know how to use any project
management software, that would be willing to help us? I think this is
top priority.

-How can we integrate with what Lawrence is trying to achieve? Would hg
be a part of Lawrence’s larger database, or otherwise?

-And finally, about sending a message to the pc lists, Jim wrote that we
should not announce the funding publicly just yet – because it hasn’t
been officially announced. Does sending a message to the pc lists count
as public announcement? Probably not. But maybe we should get organized
(as in, create the project plan described above) before we send a
message? If you are all super keen on sending a message now, though, I
will write one up this weekend and send it to you all first for comments.

Pheww, many things to discuss. I think our main priorities are to decide
what our relationship with PFAF/accessibility status are, and create a
project plan.

Look forward to continuing the discussion…

peace
*Stephanie

p.s. John, I don’t think we’ll be getting any contributions from
Alison…but I’m definitely laughing out loud