pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] ...more que$tion$

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] ...more que$tion$
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:58:35 +0100

Stephanie Gerson wrote:
hello again plantdbbbbeauties,

so I'm communicating with a woman who has quite a bit of (successful!) grantwriting experience, and she asked me some important questions. I tried answering them myself, but would like to hear ideas from you. One foundation is interested in hearing from us, and would like an initial proposal SOON (just a statement of purpose and estimated budget, not the design specifics). (If you'd rather not be involved with the grantwriting aspect of this project - no worries. But feedback is always helpful, and I definitely cannot answer these questions alone.) Following are the questions, and I wrote my responses below, :p:l:e:a:s:e: add any of your own.

1. Generate a list of keywords associated with the project (so we can search for appropriate foundations).

Lawrence seems to have that covered.

Bioinformatics.

2. What is an estimate of the actual number of pemaculture practitioners
there are? (I know this is somewhat impossible to answer, but significant when applying for funding.)

I would tend not to focus solely on permaculturist, medicinal herbalist,
craftsmen, wildlife enthusiasts, school children, consavationists,
botanists, farmers, gardeners, park keepers and many more could all
benifit from the project.

As too numbers we get 7,000 visitors a week to the pfaf site
so maybe in the region of 350,000/year.

3. How will Permaculturists benefit from this project, or encourage new members?

Provide an indepth knowledge base of information about
plants and their relationships. The information is essential
for an informed selection of plants.

4. Besides Permaculturalists, who will benefit from this project and how?

See above.

5. Given that most people do not have the interest, or the space to
grow their own food, what can be done to make large scale organic farming
more sustainable, and how will your program contribute to that effort?

By providing a comphehensive, in depth knowledge base
orgainc farmers will be better able to select a
suitable selection of plants to grow in their particular environment.

By prodiving a tool for studying the relationships between
plants and their environment the project will encourage
farming pratices which are more sensative to environmental
concerns.

The project will help to inform about a greater diversity
of novel plants which will enable organic farmers to explore
neich markets.

Details on alternative non-food crops, such as medicinal
plants, biomass, fiber crops will further enable the diversification
and exploration of new markets.

A greater diversity of plant products may encoragae secondry
industries such as craftsmen.

Detail information on the nutritional properties of plants
will encourage better diets in consumers.

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org